Annual Trust Professional Development Conference
In 2021, RET launched its annual trust-wide inset day, “The Big Conversation”. The event was based on a series of conversations aimed to ‘whet the appetite’ of staff and become a stepping stone for further learning and enquiry.
Each year The Big Conversation will bring all colleagues together presenting an opportunity for colleagues to connect, network, share and discuss best practices, as well as learning something new or/and build upon prior knowledge. The Big Conversation acts as catalysis to further learning and reflection through our Small Talk events that take place during the academic year, supporting the Trust’s CPD cycle:
- Identify need
- What are we trying to change?
- What id the issue?
- What are our needs?
- What is out goal?
- Check our assumptions
- Explore what to try, how to do it
- Prepare for learning
- Range of expert voices
- Evidence informed
- Learning session to broaden knowledge
- Individual practice
- Attempt small changes in practice following learning
- Self-reflection on practice
- Cyclical through reflection
- Self evaluation of impact
- Peer evaluation of impact
- Peer reflection
- Discuss, reflect, share, problem solve, adjust and/or embed in practice
Evaluation point 1
- Individual reaction during learning
- Formal evaluation
- Identify next steps (self or with peers) including areas of practice, further training needs etc
Evaluation point 2
Participants use of knowledge
- Have they done what they said they’d do?
- Have barriers been addressed
- Evidence of change of practice
- Evidence of sustained change of practice
Evaluation point 3
- Direct impact – pupil outcomes
- Indirect impact – change in practice
- Did what we want to happen, happen?
- Was it worth it (time, resources)
- Do we need to stop?
Staff feedback from The Big Conversation 2021
What a great trust we all work for. It was a privilege to engage with Senior Leaders from over the trust. We need to do this more often. So many skilful staff.
A great collaborative day sharing a wealth of knowledge and expertise across the trust. Very useful and thought-provoking!
I enjoyed the Inset Day, can’t say that I’ve ever said that about Inset Days and in the 20+ years of education that’s a first for me. Thank you.
Very inspiring thought-provoking and connected day. Greater sense of belonging and understanding within the Trust paving the way for more collaborative ways of working.